We are a parent-led community group who believe that Colmore Junior and Infant Schools should continue to operate successfully as outstanding community schools.
We believe the proposal to convert the schools to academies has the potential to impact adversely on the rights of pupils, parents and employees and that therefore any proposed conversion of the schools must only take place following a full and meaningful process of consultation with all stakeholders.
We urge the schools to uphold the current inclusive ethos of the Colmore Schools by :
1. Holding an urgent public meeting for parents and members of the local community to hear arguments for and against conversion and to ask questions about the proposals.
2. Providing parents and other stakeholders with full details of what steps governors have already taken in the conversion process, including when the DFE conversion grant was applied for and whether a resolution to convert has already been passed.
3. Providing parents and other stakeholders with a full consultation document at the outset of the consultation period including details of the educational and financial reasons for seeking conversion and a full impact assessment of how academy status will affect different groups of pupils.
4. Giving an undertaking that a decision on conversion will only be made after this period of consultation ends and that no irreversible steps will be taken until this consultation is complete.
5. Holding a full and meaningful formal consultation process of at least three months’ duration, at the end of which a ballot of parents is held to approve or reject the conversion proposal.